Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Church of New Labors

Another boring dinner with
Princess Mathilde...

The brothers went out into the fog
to mull with aperitifs. An odd creature
was shambling down in the street below.
At about a foot and a half tall, its gait
and general character resembled
an old drunk dressed like a plague doctor.

Jules said to Edmond:

I have conceived of a city whose
consistency is little more than a sparkle
or a glint. All of it sewn together with a
thread of song, and see through.

Edmond watched as the vulture
took the sick little street puppy in its jaws
and began the laborious process
required to fly.

Edmond then said:

A tunic of Magnesian fashion
fitted close his magnificent limbs,
and across it

a puppy's hide? -
held off the shivering rain..

Jules motioned for them
to go back inside, the Princess
had begun another tiresome
harangue.

3 comments:

  1. Makes me come over all Zelazny. With shades of Kelly's more serious work. Who et the puppy? And where is forever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speechless, Lanny, as in without speech, I am, after the experience of what I believe is the single greatest poem I have ever read.

    Ree-MARK-able.

    I don't mind about the plot.

    Oh ho, I love the plot!!

    Absolutamente.

    That is one abbreviated and unsavoury creature there, that shambler.

    The Dargerian fairytale romance of this passage I quote below is like the cream filing in the oreo of the Magnesian tunic... and not forgetting the puppy, Lanny, NOT EVER FOR ONE MOMENT FORGETTING THE PUPPY:

    I have conceived of a city whose
    consistency is little more than a sparkle
    or a glint. All of it sewn together with a
    thread of song, and see through.

    It is a pleasure and an honour simply to stitch that in here.

    This is the next Church I'm joining.

    I love the way the rain shivers.

    Word.


    (riding word verification "tranes" into the vascular migraine fog...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 333. Zelazny! Alright.

    Tom. Now I'm speechless!
    Thank you Tom!

    I did want you guys to know this
    is based on the journals of Goncourt Brothers, and espcecially the mood was set while reading Andre' Billy's biopic of the pair.

    The only thing I never got about that book was the way the brothers
    are depicted with these 1" wide shaved parts in their hair?

    did folks do that in that period?
    odd.

    ReplyDelete

Irrony Observes The Earthing.