Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Haircut and Shopping. A Lad's Day in PDX.


longtemp i ride, i ride
and then i shop, and where i
shop

is in the pa-
pa-alice of stars
let me
telu [orna-mental cur-li-q]

:V:

What I found today:

Memoirs of the Warrior Kumagai,
A Historical Novel.

A British Tourist's Guide to Madame Tussaud's
price: One Shilling.

Frank Schoonmaker's _The Wines of Germany_

Miracle Finger, A book of works by children ages
2 to 15

and Dulac edited by David Larkin

So then something of the weaving of things.
So I'm just out of my haircut at Rudy's where
I had had an absolutely exquisite conversation
with my hairdresser, an impenetrably gorgeous woman
with a diamond stud centered within her philtrum.
Her hair so wonderfully coiffed as to be simultaneously
that of a French 17th Century dandy and of a 1970's
country and western singer. Inpenetrable.
We spoke of lost Portland haunts like Gallery 500,
the short-lived upscale graffito-clothes gallery
with embroidered shirts that could be upwards
of 500 dollars, etc, the parties. We spoke
of the collectible tennis shoe, and vintage
clothing shops, and the whole Portland meme
of crying in your coffee, after I had told her
I was moving and was driving around and enjoying
Portland and listening to Elliot Smith. I had also
bought a bright orange 1960's cardigan sweater
which I tolder her about, etc. I sold about
40 dollars worth of old clothes, about 5 pieces
of clothing.

As I stepped out of Rudy's, the customer in front of me
was something wonderfully Portland, a middle aged
Lesbianish woman with a perfectly reproduced haircut
like that of Annabella Lwin of Bow Wow Wow, and wearing
a cotton windbreaker embroidered with a giant
fleur-de-lis made from giant glitter bangles
on her back. Picture perfect!
And to follow that I had the experience of Elliot Smith and reading
from the Madame Tussaud's guide about Tableau #4.
Beside the fact that the little piece is remarkable,
it does itself embody an entire aesthetic I had
conceived years ago but lacked the talent to accomplish
as I had envisioned it. The fervent ember of my dream
has been rekindled to a flame, a candle light:



Here is a poem from Miracle Finger.
( I was wearing a bright yellow Banana Republic polo shirt
today I bought on sale for 7 dollars at BR)

Yellow

Yellow is nice
because it's comfortable
It's nice on the bedspread
Yellow is perfect
when you play baseball
with a yellow baseball hat
and a yellow baseball too
Yellow is the color of lemon
a good color for a lemon
A cross is yellow
because it points 4 ways
Yellow is furry
Yellow is lovely
Yellow comes from mamas
because I love it
so do you
Red comes from papas
because it's his favorite color
of his blood

Phoebe, age 5, Jan. 1973.

January 1973. w/ Phoebe
and the color yellow.

I think I could love the world again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nierstein

No comments:

Post a Comment

Irrony Observes The Earthing.