Wednesday, February 27, 2013

http://www.kurzweilai.net/news


Of late I've been following various poetry personages on Twitter, and a recent article mentioned by Christian Bok here, strangely enough provided me with a quote that fit exactly with what I was thinking about before I read the article. This morning, and there is a whole long backstory about how slowly I have come around to more or less appreciate the work being called 'conceptual poetry', I realized that there didn't seem to be any reason to actually write a conceptual text, and once I had got to that point, I realized I was more or less in the lands of what was traditionally called 'Conceptualism', or even Fluxus depending on how you presented the notion of the text. So I am thowing this up to debate, if there is any. But first, see how neatly, Kenneth Goldsmith's quote can be changed into that of which I speak:

From: The best thing about conceptual poetry is that it doesn’t need to be read. You don’t have to read it. As a matter of fact, you can write books, and you don’t even have to read them. My books, for example, are unreadable. All you need to know is the concept behind them.

To: The best thing about conceptual poetry is that it doesn’t need to be written. You don’t have to write it. As a matter of fact, you can imagine books, and you don’t even have to write them. My books, for example, are unwritten. All you need to know is the concept behind them.

So I guess, any piece like this would perform an Ecoconceptualist critique, or a web-pampered 'fluxlitlet'.. Anyway, the piece that led me to think this way, and the only reason I don't write it, is strictly from laziness, or from just a general malaise I feel toward all published literature anyway these days since my own is either a: awful, or b: unreadable, or c: too obscure, (etc...), is to create a book or 'text' from all the published news headlines of KurzweilAI.net starting from their inception with:

3-D Space as New Frontier /  October 4, 2000
and ending with
Complex circuits made of carbon nanotubes demonstrated / February 27, 2013

which comprises some 1002 pages of 4-8(+/-) headlines each..

but why extract all that, when one could just as easily read the text in situ, and this essay could be seen as a fluxist 'command line' to justify a conceptualist framing...

Here is the text starting in the present:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/news

Choose the double left arrows at the bottom of the page if you wish to start at the other end and read forward. To me the text represents a parallel history of human endeavor in a 13 year period when the mainstream news hasn't really been all that stellar. Here is a history like a brightly polished forehead gazing outward to the stars and inward to the cell, or is it? Maybe it is an echo of Victor Frankenstein's journal, or a cry of exasperation into the productive vortext of materiality's transcendence, a romantic view of complexity's surface.. I think I may have glimpsed in this text a convergence of Romanticism and Conceptualism.

The text would simply be called, IS called

http://www.kurzweilai.net/news


No comments:

Post a Comment

Irrony Observes The Earthing.